To experience any form of violence and/or assault is never okay.  

Some forms of verbal or physical assault are considered a Hate Crime.  All forms of assault and hate crime are contrary to the Equality Act 2010 and the University Dignity at Work and Study Policy.

Please Consider:
  • Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can contact the emergency services on 999 (or 112 from a mobile phone).
  • Find a safe space.   If an incident has just happened you may want to find a safe space to be, this may involve being with a trusted friend or family member who can be with you and look after you.  If you are on campus and need help or feel unsafe please call Security: 0131 474 0000 and ask for 'Security'. 


  • Report and Support. Students and staff can report an incident using the University‚Äôs Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from an advisor. If you choose to talk to an advisor they will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence.
  • University Procedure. If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University about a student or member of staff there are procedures which set out the steps you'll need to follow.  
    • how to make a formal complaint click HERE .
Get Support 

Support for students is available if you have experienced violence and/or assault and would like to speak with someone about your experience please consider the following options:

You may want to consider talking to our Accommodation Team if you are living on campus and the incident occurred in accommodation. 

You may consider speaking with your Personal Academic Tutor or a member of your academic team.

Our students can also speak with a member of staff in their Student's Union who can offer advice and guidance.

All students can access support from our university wellbeing and counselling services, based in student services.  For more information please see below:

Mental health and wellbeing support for students available within QMU:
  • QMU Wellbeing service HERE
  • QMU Counselling service HERE
  • Togetherall - online support for mental health HERE

  • Support for Staff is available, if you would like guidance and to speak with someone about your experience please make contact with our QMU Human Resources team.  There is also staff mental health and wellbeing support:
  • 'Be Supported' Staff Employee Assistance Programme HERE
  • Togetherall - online support for mental health HERE
Students and staff  may also want to consider accessing support at the following Scottish support services:

Scottish Women's Rights Centre HERE
Victim Support Scotland HERE
MyGov. Scot support as a victim or witness of crime HERE

There are two ways you can tell us what happened