To experience any form of violence and/or assault is never okay.  

Some forms of verbal or physical assault are considered a Hate Crime.  All forms of assault and hate crime are contrary to the Equality Act 2010 and the University Dignity at Work and Study Policy.

Immediate Concerns:
  • Is the person in immediate danger?   If they are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can contact the emergency services on 999 (or 112 from a mobile phone) on their behalf. 
  • Help find a safe space for the person.   If an incident has just happened you may want to help the person to find a safe space to be, this may involve them being with a trusted friend or family member who can be with them and look after them.    Explore how the student can get to a safe place. (Taxi, friend, police etc).    If the person is on campus and needs help or feels unsafe please call Security: 0131 474 0000 and ask for 'Security'. 

What can you do?
  1. What happened? 
    This question will help you find out information of the level of risk and severity of the incident/incidents and what support might be needed. 
  2. When did it happen? 
    This will help you establish timescales and what support might be needed.  It may be pertinent to gather evidence of the assault/violence, for example, photographs of any injuries which can be shared should the person want to report the incident to the police. 

  3.  Do they have a friend or a trusted person to stay and look after them?  
    Check who this is and the relationship with the student. Check if student is able to contact them themselves or if they want help to do so. 
  4.  Do they have any injuries that need to be seen to? 
    If they need to be treated make sure that they are seen by the appropriate support, A& E, GP, sexual assault centre. If the victim/survivor want to report make sure that the medical practitioners know this so that can ensure forensic evidence is preserved.
  5.  University Procedure. If they choose to make a formal complaint to the University about a student or member of staff there are procedures which set out the steps you'll need to follow.  To find out more about how to make a formal complaint click HERE .
Seeking  Support - You may want to seek advice on their behalf or encourage them to do so themselves. 
They may want to Report the incident either anonymously or with details using this Report and Support system. 

They may want to consider talking to our Accommodation Team if they are living on campus and the incident occurred in accommodation. 

They may consider speaking with their Personal Academic Tutor or a member of their academic team.

Our students can also speak with a member of staff in their Student's Union who can offer advice and guidance.

All students can access support from our university wellbeing and counselling services, based in student services.  For more information please see below:

Mental health and wellbeing support for students available within QMU:
  • QMU Wellbeing service HERE
  • QMU Counselling service HERE
  • Togetherall - online support for mental health HERE
Support for Staff is available, if you would like guidance and to speak with someone about your experience please make contact with our QMU Human Resources team.  There is also staff mental health and wellbeing support:

Mental health and wellbeing support for staff at QMU: 
  • 'Be Supported' Staff Employee Assistance Programme HERE
  • Togetherall - online support for mental health HERE


There are two ways you can tell us what happened