Any form of harassment or hate crime is never okay

What can you do?

Are they in immediate danger?  If they are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can call Emergency services on 999 (or 112 from a mobile). 

Finding a safe space.  If an incident has just happened check to see if they feel safe and secure and if they have or would like a trusted friend or family member with them.   
If they are on campus or in accommodation they/you can contact a member of the Accommodation team or Security (please call '0131 474 0000 and ask for Security') for support and/or to discuss the incident.

Listening & offering support - the person affected may want to share and talk through their experience with you. 

 Seeking  Support - You may want to seek advice on their behalf or encourage them to do so themselves.
They may want to Report the incident either anonymously or with details using this Report and Support system.
All students can access support from our Student Services you can email or 

Students can also speak with a member of staff in their Student's Union who can offer advice and guidance.

Why should I report Hate Crime

The vast majority of hate crimes are not reported. If we do not know about something, we cannot do anything about it and we cannot support you or make things change.
If you are not sure about what to do and want to discuss it with someone please contact Student Services and we will be able to support you and talk through your options or 

Here are some reasons why reporting is important
  • You may well put a stop to the behaviour
  • You will help the police and partners build a picture of the nature and extent of hate crime in your area
  • You will help the police and partners understand where their resources need to be focused
  • If you are a victim, you will get access to support and advice
  • You could prevent further incidents happening in the future
  • You could stop minor incidents escalating to more serious ones
  • You will raise awareness of the issue and lead to positive changes in your community
  • Your information may lead to an arrest or conviction

You can report through our Report and Support system here as a third party. 

You should also consider reporting a hate crime to the police and you can do this  as a third party.

If you want to report to the police you can do so by calling 101 or by going to your local police station. There is more information here for you if you want to know what happens after a report to the police.
If you want to report anonymously to the police using the online hate crime reporting form on the Police Scotland Website // or by calling Crime Stoppers on 0800 555 111, or by contacting a Third Party Reporting Centre – //

For more information and external support see contacts and information page 

There are two ways you can tell us what happened